PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/cricking sound in my lap

QUESTION: sir nice to contact you. I am maran doing a P.G. Course in Communication Systems,I bought HP lap before 6 months to do my project. It was working properly all these days but when i turn to use my lap to run the software at high freq. (50 GHz), fan runs wild and thereafter a cricking sound is coming from my lap. Even if i don't run the software the sound is arriving at different parts at different time. Is this a major issue that i should approach the service centre please find the remedy for this and i ask you to give the suggestion to overcome this problem

ANSWER: Haha, you're funny. Nothing runs at 50Ghtz, especially on a laptop.

Anyways, to answer your question, the clicking sound sounds like your hard drive. In order to fix it, you'll need to back up all your data you need, then order a new hard drive and replace the old one with the new one. Most laptops make it easy to access the hard drive. It is usually just a couple of screws on the bottom to take off a panel and a couple more screws to unattach the hard drive caddy from the hard drive. After replacing the hard drive, you will need to install a new operating system to it. If you have ghosting software, you can image your old hard drive to your new hard drive, so everything you have on the old one will be exactly the same on the new one, as if nothing ever changed.

As for your fans spinning really fast, this could indicate that the laptop is not cooling down fast enough. To test your temperatures, I would download a temperature program that will feedback the temperatures of your laptop in real time. Speccy is one that works, and there are a few other good ones. Just Google it to find one that you like. If your computer hits over 60 degrees Celsius at idle, that's really bad. That means under stress, the CPU is going to get MUCH hotter, eventually damaging the components causing your laptop to stop functioning altogether and requiring a new motherboard.

I would take apart the laptop down to where you can access the CPU and heatsink. Use a step-by-step guide if you are uncomfortable doing this. Some laptops are really easy to access the CPU and heatsink because the manufacturer purposely made it easy, but if your laptop isn't as convenient as that, you'll have to take in completely apart, a process that can take up to two hours if you are unfamiliar with taking apart a laptop.

Once you have access to the CPU and heatsink, clean the heatsink and fan of any and all dust. You may have to disassemble the fan from the heatsink by unscrewing really tiny screws sometimes hidden by tape. After the dust is completely removed, acquire some Arctic Silver thermal compound from either Walmart or RadioShack or from an online store. Once you have the Arctic Silver thermal compound, clean off the CPU and heatsink of the old thermal paste completely (the paste will be of a grey colour). Apply small amounts of the new thermal compound to the CPU (Do not apply it to the green part of the CPU, only the chip(s) in the middle, and spread it around to cover the chip completely. Look at the heatsink and the chips it covers. If there are other chips and components that the heatsink touches (there most likely will), apply small amounts of thermal to them as well and spread it around a bit like it was down on the CPU chip. After you are done applying thermal compound, install back the heatsink and don't forget to plug back in the fan cable to the laptop if you had done so. Reassemble the laptop and check the temperatures again. You should notice a significant difference. Your fans should not be spinning so fast and your laptop will run much cooler than ever before, therefore performing better and lasting much longer.

Have a great day!

QUESTION: sir you are mistaken. when i run my project software which is 75Gb in size to find the output for the device i have designed which has to be tested for its performance at 30-50 GHz. During the run time of the software all the above problems occurs. So is the problem a major issue please conform and do reply. Any how from your i come to know two things thanks.

The highest Ghtz processor to date is around 10Ghtz with extreme overclocking and nitrogen cooling. Absolutely nothing runs at 30-50Ghtz, I can guarantee you that. If you mean your application takes up 50GB of space for something, that would make more sense, but nothing runs at 30-50Ghtz. You'll need to wait another 10 years for processing speeds to become that high.

As for your problem, what I had sent to you in my last reply is everything you'll need to know. The severity is high because if you have important files, you may lose them when the hard drive finally goes out completely. The clicking also happens most often when running your program because the program requires a large amount of hard drive activity, increasing the frequency for the failing hard drive to intermittently fail.

Have a great day!

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I can answer most No POST problems, compatibility between parts, upgrade options, troubleshooting, etc. Before you ask me a question, please do some research. I do not give PC speed reviews for video games.

Many, many years of experience working with the hardware components of many types of computers including desktops, laptops, kiosk computers, and even running Windows 3.1, 95, and 98 on the PSP (Sony PlayStation Portable). I've replaced capacitors on desktop motherboards making them working like new again with a high success rate. This is my hobby/job every day.

Associates of Science in Computer Information Technology