PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Automatic Hibernation

Dear Mr. Mike Rigsby,

I hope you are doing great.

I have a query regarding unnoticed power outages and computer processes.

Well, i am a researcher and i have to work simultaneously using many software programs with at least three documents open for analysis.

Here, due to severe electric outages, the system turns off and on several times, and each time it goes off my whole work is lost. Then upon getting electricity back i have to restart my tasks from the beginning. This highly distracts the sequence of my work.

A possible solution is hibernate but provided that the system is getting AC supply. But, is it possible to let my system go hibernate each time it gets unpredictable short power outages? Any other alternate?

I hope you understand what i mean.

Thanks a lot for consideration.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

If you happen to be using Microsoft Office then there are settings within Office that will automatically save your work if the program crashes, such as with a power failure, but unfortunately Hibernate won't help you.

Hibernate only works if the system maintains power so even if you were able to hibernate it before the power cut out you'd still lose your work.

Your only option is to get a backup battery system on your computer that will run it for a short time when the power goes out. This way you could save your work and properly shut down your computer.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Mike Rigsby

Areas of expertise: PC Hardware, Peripherals, Barcode Scanners, Printers, and Applications, Networking, Microsoft Applications. I am good at researching issues and have a lot of contacts in the IT industry. So, if I can't directly answer a question I can likely find the answer. Areas I won't be much help in: Apple Computers, Linux, older Networking technologies like Token Ring, or Thick/Thinnet.

I'm currently a Network Administrator for a contract circuit board manufacturer in Oregon, USA. I've been working on PCs from a hobby standpoint for better than 25 years. I've been doing it professionally for 4+ years.

A+ Certification, Network + Certification, MCP, MCDST, MCITP