PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Automatic Hibernation

Question
Dear Mr. Agudelo,

I hope you are doing great.

I have a query regarding unnoticed power outages and computer processes.

Well, i am a researcher and i have to work simultaneously using many software programs with at least three documents open for analysis.

Here, due to severe electric outages, the system turns off and on several times, and each time it goes off my whole work is lost. Then upon getting electricity back i have to restart my tasks from the beginning. This highly distracts the sequence of my work.

A possible solution is hibernate but provided that the system is getting AC supply. But, is it possible to let my system go hibernate each time it gets unpredictable short power outages? Any other alternate?

I hope you understand what i mean.

Thanks a lot for consideration.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,
Fahim

Answer
Hi Fahim,

I guess we are talking about a desktop computer. I think you have better options looking to have some temporary power source, while other solutions may help you to keep the work done safe.
First I would add a UPS to the system, with enough reserve power to keep the CPU and critical accessories (i.e. like external hard drives) powered while the OS goes to hibernation, and closes all files.
Then I would use the UPS software to notify the OS a power outage (or brownout) has happened, and start the system hibernation. Usually the PS comes with the software drivers, and an external connection for signaling.
Finally I would set the UPS sensing parameters to minimize the nuisance caused by brownouts that may be handled by the UPS power alone, without going to hibernation.
It is also a good idea making sure the current open files are saved periodically without your intervention. There is a tradeoff between the file size, the saving frequency and your patience waiting for the files to be saved.

Another option is using a laptop, which would always run from its battery (even if connected to AC power), and would keep your work safe in most conditions with little or no configuration.

Hope it helps,
Ricardo

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Ricardo Agudelo