PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Automatic Hibernation

Question
Dear Mr. Bobbert,

I hope you are doing great.

I have a query regarding unnoticed power outages and computer processes.

Well, i am a researcher and i have to work simultaneously using many software programs with at least three documents open for analysis.

Here, due to severe electric outages, the system turns off and on several times, and each time it goes off my whole work is lost. Then upon getting electricity back i have to restart my tasks from the beginning. This highly distracts the sequence of my work.

A possible solution is hibernate but provided that the system is getting AC supply. But, is it possible to let my system go hibernate each time it gets unpredictable short power outages? Any other alternate?

I hope you understand what i mean.

Thanks a lot for consideration.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,
Fahim

Answer
Yes, I do understand your question - unfortunately Hibernate will not address the problem of abrupt power outages. The general usage scenario for Hibernate is to conserve electricity, when the machine detects a period of inactivity (usually a few hours with no keystrokes, mouse movements, or multi-touch inputs (if your computer has a touchscreen)).

However, there is a solution to your problem: an Uninterruptible Power Supply, or UPS. Essentially a very large battery pack that sits between the mains supply and the computer, it will monitor for when the AC power is defeated, and switch over to the battery supply to prevent the computer from immediately shutting down (and hopefully prevent your data loss). Depending on the size of the UPS you choose, you may be able to continue working with the power out (it would have to be able to provide power to the display(s) as well), or you may only have a few minutes of power to allow you to save your work and shut the machine down until power is restored. Larger UPS devices are accordingly more expensive (and they get quite heavy as well - some of the more robust units can weigh upwards of 100 lbs (~45 kilos); something to keep in mind if you order such a machine).

Generally I would suggest APC when shopping for a UPS, and they have an online calculator to help you determine an appropriate model for your needs:
http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

Sizing will depend on the power demands of your computer, monitors, and other associated equipment, and how long you need that equipment to stay powered on.

Hopefully that helps.

-bob

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Bobbert