PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Automatic Hibernation

Question
Dear Mr. Flinix,

I hope you are doing great.

I have a query regarding unnoticed power outages and computer processes.

Well, i am a researcher and i have to work simultaneously using many software programs with at least three documents open for analysis.

Here, due to severe electric outages, the system turns off and on several times, and each time it goes off my whole work is lost. Then upon getting electricity back i have to restart my tasks from the beginning. This highly distracts the sequence of my work.

A possible solution is hibernate but provided that the system is getting AC supply. But, is it possible to let my system go hibernate each time it gets unpredictable short power outages? Any other alternate?

I hope you understand what i mean.

Thanks a lot for consideration.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,
Fahim

Answer
Hello Fahim. The only method to fighting unpredictable power outages is to acquire a battery backup that you can plug your machine directly into so when the power goes out, you still have about 20 minutes (on the cheapest of battery backups) of running time on the battery before your computer would need to be shut down if the power has not yet returned. The only reason there is no other method is because the resulting power outage occurs in milliseconds and we have no warning to start a hibernation shutdown which depending on the amount of RAM you have, how fast the disk spins, what operating system you are running, etc, would take take about 5-30 seconds.

Acquire the battery backup and you should never have power problems again when it comes to your computer. The battery backup should have enough plugs to run at least 2 battery backed up devices, such as a desktop tower and an LCD screen and if there are more battery backed up plugs in the battery backup itself, you could plug in a printer and maybe a work light so you are still in business for what you are doing.

Hope this helps. Have a great day!

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Flinix