PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/filtering out dust from computer fans

Question
I find myself sneezing almost everytime I sit down at my computer.  I've begun wondering if it is from unseen dust being blown up from underneath my built-in desk.  The computer, an HP Media Center PC, stands vertically under the desk.  The only source to blow dust would be the fans inside it.  I'm wondering if there is an easy and effective way to filter the dust that won't hinder the flow of air and cause the computer components to overheat.

Answer
Hello Matt. The computer fans themselves don't usually pull enough air flow to cause dust problems in terms of sneezing/allergies. The air flow is almost mostly toward the back and so light that dust can not be stirred up into the air (unless you have a delta fan which I doubt).

Computer fans do cause a build up of dust noticeable after 3 months of use without cleaning up the dust. After 6 months, I recommend cleaning the internal parts of the computer. If not done after 9-12 months, don't wait any longer, otherwise the lack of airflow becomes a problem in terms of heat and therefore heightened stress on the motherboard components. If you have a dog or cat, the dust times shorten by about half since computers love to suck up the cat hair and clog up at record speeds.

You can obtain computer fan filters and mount them directly to the insides of the fans using the same screws that already hold the fan in place. An easy install of just unscrewing and rescrewing four screws to each fan. You can search on eBay.com for these filters. Most regular computers come with 80mm or 92mm fans. Here is a link to an eBay listing of what you are generally looking for. http://www.ebay.com/itm/80mm-Black-Aluminum-Mesh-Computer-PC-Fan-Filter-Grill-Gu

I would personally take the time to clean the inside components of the computer while installing the filters If you have an air compressor (not an air can, but an air compressor), this should be a 5 minute job and it will be clean like new again. If you don't have an air compressor, take the computer to where you can use one and blow out all the build up thoroughly.

With the filters in the above link, the amount of free flying dust should be much less and the computer should not get dusty as fast, lessening maintenance time and making the computer run cleaner.

Hope this helps out with your issue. Have a great day!

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Flinix