PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Computer won't turn on.

Question
I need some help with an old DELL Dimension 4700. It has XP and it was working fine and suddenly it would not start unless I unplugged the Ethernet cable.  Once it was out of the computer it would boot normal. I thought it was just odd and never gave much importance to it since the computer remained on a few days and the problem just happened when I had to turn if off and on again.  
Now it does not turn on even when I removed the Ethernet cable. It looks like it does not power on, but there is  blinking yellow light where the power green light is supposed to be. It also has a clicking sound.
My first thought was that the power supply went bad, but after I thought it couldn't be because I keep hearing a clicking sound. I haven't opened the computer to check inside yet.
I think it is not a hard drive failure since I get no error message about it, no blue screen or no hard drive found, and so on.
What could be the problem ?
Power supply or dead motherboard ?
Thanks.
Sonia

Answer
It's tough to say - has anything changed with the system recently? (e.g. have you had power outages, lightning strikes, hardware upgrades, etc)

My best suggestion, right now, would be to try resetting the CMOS (See the section "Clearing CMOS Settings" in this document: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-4700_service%20manual_en-us.pdf (follow the "before you begin" steps as suggested)), and seeing if the system will then boot following that. Does this help the problem?

-bob

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Bobbert