PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Laptop screen flickers and turns white

I have a HP Pavilion G4 laptop and i had for a little over a year. Well the past couple months i have been having screen issues. My screen is not cracked but when i start up it sometimes turns white, will flicker or have lines across it and will only fix if i hit it, tilt the screen or squeeze screen in certain areas. When this happens the screen freezes up but the voice, music etc in back will still be playing. I also hooked up to an external monitor and its fine. Doesn't do a thing. Its perfect. So can the problem be i need a new screen or the video cable that connects the screen and motherboard?

Since the external LCD works fine the video card is fine but beyond that it could be either of the problems you mentioned. No way to really narrow down if it's the screen itself or the ribbon cable that connects is to the board. In either case your only real option is the replace the entire lid/screen. A replacement is probably around $50.

Generally you can get replacement parts off eBay and usually find instructions online, like on YouTube, on how to replace it. Such as here:

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Mike Rigsby

Areas of expertise: PC Hardware, Peripherals, Barcode Scanners, Printers, and Applications, Networking, Microsoft Applications. I am good at researching issues and have a lot of contacts in the IT industry. So, if I can't directly answer a question I can likely find the answer. Areas I won't be much help in: Apple Computers, Linux, older Networking technologies like Token Ring, or Thick/Thinnet.

I'm currently a Network Administrator for a contract circuit board manufacturer in Oregon, USA. I've been working on PCs from a hobby standpoint for better than 25 years. I've been doing it professionally for 4+ years.

A+ Certification, Network + Certification, MCP, MCDST, MCITP