PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/PC Power Surge

I had a power surge and my PC won't turn on now.  I have a Compaq Presario SR5518F, Windows Vista and when plugged in, it has a green blinking light in the back from the PSU. I have tried several things that I have found posted on how to fix this problem.  I am now ready to try opening the PC and unplugging the PSU. My question is:  Before I do, I want to know about my USB jump drive that is still connected.  Do I leave it plugged in, or do I take it off?  I know you have to properly eject the jump drive when the PC is on, but what about when it is off (caused by a power surge).  I do not want to loose my documents on the jump drive. My PC was running when the power surge happened. I also have a CD left in, but I figure that is OK to just remove (if it will), but I have not tried that yet. Thanks Dee

Assuming the power surge didn't also damage the USB thumb drive you're fine to pull the drive out. The 'safely remove' option is definitely recommended to keep the drive from getting file corruption but it's not absolutely necessary.

Power surges are nasty things and can generally cause fatal damage to computers.There's a solid chance your PC is no longer functional.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Mike Rigsby

Areas of expertise: PC Hardware, Peripherals, Barcode Scanners, Printers, and Applications, Networking, Microsoft Applications. I am good at researching issues and have a lot of contacts in the IT industry. So, if I can't directly answer a question I can likely find the answer. Areas I won't be much help in: Apple Computers, Linux, older Networking technologies like Token Ring, or Thick/Thinnet.

I'm currently a Network Administrator for a contract circuit board manufacturer in Oregon, USA. I've been working on PCs from a hobby standpoint for better than 25 years. I've been doing it professionally for 4+ years.

A+ Certification, Network + Certification, MCP, MCDST, MCITP