PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Gaming

Hi I have a Compaq Presario SR2038X desktop and it has an AMD Athlon 64x2 3800+ 2.0ghz dual core processor, 3gb of ram, NVidia Geforce 210 graphics card, 450 watt power supply and a 1TB hard drive. I was wondering if you could recommend what type of games that I could run with this desktop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The graphics card will be the biggest impediment here, but only the most modern and graphically demanding games should present any serious issues. It ultimately depends on what kinds of games you enjoy as to whether or not this will be a problem though - if you're wanting to run graphically intensive first-person shooters or role-playing games (such as The Elder Scrolls or Battlefield series of games) you likely will run into issues with the very newest titles, but should have few problems with older titles. If, however, you're more interested in strategy games (like Command & Conquer or the "Sim" games (e.g. SimCity or The Sims)) you shouldn't have many problems with the hardware you have. There are also plenty of older games that will run flawlessly (more or less in all genres) that are quite enjoyable, again depending on your tastes (for example if you enjoy role-playing games, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind should run at "full-max" settings, while the newer installments in the series likely will have performance issues with the GeForce 210 (they should be playable, but it may not be with very high overall settings), or if you enjoy real-time strategy games, many of the "best in class" examples are quite dated (e.g. StarCraft, WarCraft III, Command & Conquer: Generals, and so on)).

You might be interested in this utility, which provides information about the system requirements of many games, as well as a utility to compare them against your existing hardware:

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience