PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/BIOS / Building custom computer

QUESTION: Good Day Sir,

I am planning build an AMD rig/pc from scratch but I am a complete newbie here. I am able to read from a lot of forums and asked some help on what parts I need to build my rig within my budget. Maybe I will just watch tutorial videos on how to build a pc but my problem is after i put all the parts together, what should I do? I do not know what to do next, and I heard that I need to configure the BIOS, what is that?

Below is my build.

Processor - AMD FX6300
Mobo - Asrock 970 Extreme3 socket AM3+
HDD - Seagate 500GB
Ram - Gskill Ripjaws 4GB 4gbx1 DDR3 1333
power supply - Cougar RS 550w
Gpu - Sapphire 7750 1GB DDR5

Thank you in advance. Hope to hear from you soon.

ANSWER: If you have no idea what the BIOS is, I HIGHLY suggest you do not even go putting stuff together. I highly suggest getting a friend who knows about building computers to assemble it and configure it according to your wants. For actually configuring the BIOS, you shouldn't have to do much except set up the drive options in the order you want it and make sure the BIOS date and time are correct so that your operating system once installed will get the correct time. It is not worth damaging components attempting to build a PC for the for time with no prior knowledge.

As for your actual build, may I suggest that you have a lot more room in the RAM and graphics card departments for upgrading. If you are going to run anything in the Windows field, such as Windows 7 or 8, you will need more than 4GB or RAM if you want to do heavy application/gaming on top of running said operating systems. You can go 8GB or 16GB total instead of just 4GB for not that much more in price talk. If you wanted to go crazy, this board supports a ridiculous 64GB of RAM. If my computer had that much RAM, I would just turn off the paging file, which would GREATLY increase the speed of any computer on any OS. Another big thing about your RAM choice is that you have chosen the slowest speed of RAM that fits on this board. The speed you chose is 1333 but it supports up to 1866 without overclocking.

As for the graphics card, if you plan on doing some intense gaming or want to have this computer for a very long time, may I suggest you get two graphics cards of the same model that support crossfire technology so you can combine the power of two graphics cards for better game play. The board you have chosen has two PCI-e slots, meaning you have room for 2 graphic cards. The card you have chosen does not support crossfire technology. Also, crossfire has a different name for nVidia cards, but is effectively the same thing. With doing 2 graphics cards, the one thing I suggest doing is getting a better power supply. Antec or Rocketfish are two brands I highly trust, so go bigger and go with a good name if you plan on upgrading to two graphics cards. If not, you should be fine with the 550 one one card. Also, make sure that whatever card(s) you run, make sure you get the same model if you do two cards and make sure they support the crossfire technology. And finally make sure to check if they have direct power supply plugs (6 or 8 pin connectors on the back end of the card(s)). running cards that have these required connections not connected can damage multiple components of your system, if the computer works to begin with (as it most likely will not POST without the required power)

By the way, never over clock your computer even if it still runs cool. Doing this will put more strain on the capacitors and other components, and though this board has top of the line capacitors, it still a good idea to let this insanely fast motherboard be fast by itself.

You didn't list what case you'll be running your components in, but whatever case you run these components in, just make sure you have a lot of circulation, proper inflow and outflow and that none of the ventilation holes are clogged at any time. Also be sure to blow out dust  once every so often to keep the PC running at its best via temperatures for long life. However you put this computer together, be sure to acquire some Arctic Silver thermal compound [look up videos on how to properly apply thermal compound], then when you go to assemble the computer, apply thermal compound to the CPU and GPU(s).

Hope this all helps you in some way. I hope you try to make your "to be" big rig a power house with some of my tips.

QUESTION: My follow up question sir is do i need to buy a heatsink/fan for my graphics card and if i go with the 2 graphics card do i need 2 heatsink? and is 650w enough for the crossfire build?

Thank you very much sir. I did not expect you to answer me like this, very broad explanation and detailed, that is why I am very thankful to you sir. I learned alot from you than reading 600 pages from the forums and I will take your advice to have a friend with me that knows how to build a pc but I am the who will build it.

650 might be fine, but you'll have to calculate the total wattage use of your setup to get a real answer. You can use this website to define every piece of equipment and its details to find out the total pull of power that you'll need to supply. Remember, what the calculation brings up, go 100 watts better than the calculation for the stress factor when the computer first turns on, the stress of the components and the fact that a power supply at 650 watts does not always give out 750 watts. Always give yourself the room in case you want to add thing later such as second drives, more RAM, better graphics card, etc.

For the heatsink, if the board does not come with one (it should though), then order one that is compatible to the layout of the board mounting holes. You can also upgrade the heatsink if it does come with one. Remember, copper beats aluminum. Copper heatsinks are more expensive, but worth it.

As for heatsinks with the graphics card(s), heatsinks will be provided with the card(s). If the heatsink on the card does not have a fan installed on it, try to assemble your case to where one of the fans gives the heatsinks some air flow. Most high powered cards have fans installed on the card already, so you most likely won't have to worry about it.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I can answer most No POST problems, compatibility between parts, upgrade options, troubleshooting, etc. Before you ask me a question, please do some research. I do not give PC speed reviews for video games.

Many, many years of experience working with the hardware components of many types of computers including desktops, laptops, kiosk computers, and even running Windows 3.1, 95, and 98 on the PSP (Sony PlayStation Portable). I've replaced capacitors on desktop motherboards making them working like new again with a high success rate. This is my hobby/job every day.

Associates of Science in Computer Information Technology