PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/CAT3 cable

Question
QUESTION: I know CAT3 cable has 8. Wires in it.

And they are Colored wires and you take to of each wire and twist them togather.

And I have the color chart here but I need some help understanding it.

It says
pin 1 Orange/white
Pin 2 orange
Pin 3 green / white
Pin 4 blue
Pin 5 blue / white
Pin 6 green
Pin 7 brown / white
Pin 8 brown

What I do not understand is Pin 1 says Orange/White so do they want me to find the Orange Wire and twist it with a White Wire?

I do not have a cable here?

ANSWER: What you're describing is the more commonly used standard for Cat5/5e wiring in the US. Cat3 is a little different because there's more than one kind of Cat3 wire.
Some have these normal 8 wires, some have 6, and I've see some Cat3 with completely different colors.

If you work with Cat3 that has these standard wire colors then this rule applies to it as well.

That color combination standard you list is called EIA/TIA 568B. Cat5 consists of 8 wires, 4 are solid color, and 4 are striped. That's what they mean by Orange/White. You would untwist the wires, then put them into this order, and slide them into the connector and crimp down the pins.

Pin 1 - Orange & White Striped wire
Pin 2 - Solid Orange wire
Pin 3 - Green & White Striped wire
Pin 4 - Solid Blue wire
Pin 5 - Blue & Wite Striped wire
Pin 6 - Solid Green wire
Pin 7 - Brown & White Striped wire
Pin 8 - Solid Brown wire

Here's a good guideline of what I've talking about.

http://www.galwein.com/CommunicationWiringColorCodes.pdf

I work with Cat5e all day, every day and sadly could recite these colors in my sleep but I don't work with Cat3 beyond using it for wiring telephones, which is still yet another set of 'rules'. When it comes to telephone it really doesn't matter.
Telephone only uses two wires, the middle two, so you can basically put them into any order you want as long as the middle two wires are the same on both ends.

Hopefully this is more helpful than confusing.

QUESTION: So when you say Pin 1 - Orange & White Striped wire

You meen take the Orange wire and take the white wire with a strip and twist them?

ANSWER: No, just like in the illustration on that linked pdf document, Pin 1 is just the Orange & White striped wire by itself.

The wires are untwisted and then placed side by side and slid into the clip.

QUESTION: OK I think I understand the color theme a little more.

CAT5 Cable will have 4 Pairs of wires.

Pair one is a White wire with a blue wire.
Pair two is a white wire with a orange wire.
Pair Three has a white wire with a green wire.
Pair Four has a White wire with a brown wire.

So am I right Pair One you will unTwist and when they go into the RJ45 conector you put White wire in Pin 1 and the Blue wire in Pin 2?

Answer
Cat5 cable does have 4 pairs of wires:

Pair One: 1 Orange/White striped wire, 1 Solid Orange wire
Pair Two: 1 Green/White striped wire, 1 Solid Green wire
Pair Three: 1 Blue/White striped wire, 1 Solid Blue wire
Pair Four: 1 Brown/White striped wire, 1 Solid Brown wire

To make a network cable you untwist all the pairs and then line them up in that color order listed earlier.

Orange/White, Orange, Green/White, Blue, Blue/White, Green, Brown/White, Brown

Watching this might help it make more sense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AijuC8Nb_E

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Mike Rigsby