PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Compaq Presario 5410us - Ram increase

Question
Compaq Presario 5410us currently is running 512mb syncdram Pc133. It has two slots. 32 bit system, windows xp home edition

I updated the system rom 686p9 to v1.11.

Can the system recognize more memory?  Would like to try two 512mb memory sticks.  My research also indicates that with the 32 bit xp it can go up to 4mb.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, David

Answer
Windows XP can support up to 4GB (note the distinction between MB and GB - 4MB is a very small amount of memory), however in practice you will never realize this limit, as the 4GB "barrier" will also account other installed memory in the system (e.g. graphics memory), and Win32 applications are not able to address more than 3GB of memory. More about this is available from Microsoft: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg487508.aspx (the same limits/measures that apply to XP Pro apply to XP Home in this case).

However, other factors should be considered regarding adding more memory - for example cost effectiveness, and the other hardware in the system (such as CPU, hard-disk, graphics, etc). In other words, depending on the rest of the hardware installed in the system, it may not be any benefit or worthwhile to the system to add more RAM.

Regarding your specific machine, the HP support documentation (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00009504&tmp_task=prodinfoC) indicates that base configuration is a 1.3GHZ Celeron CPU, and 256MB of RAM with a maximum of 512MB. Ultimately given the age of this machine, I would not suggest investing any money in physical hardware. Additionally, Windows XP itself is quickly approaching the April 2014 discontinuation date (at which point patches/updates will not longer be provided), which makes it a security concern moving forwards (and the age of your machine will make Windows 7 or 8 problematic). My best advice would be to invest in a new machine if you need additional processing power or performance - if you have specific application or similar requirements and need help selecting a machine, feel free to ask, and I will help as possible.

-bob

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Bobbert