PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Destroying Hard Drive

Hello Keith,
  I've been looking through MANY answers to find what I need, but no luck so far.  I understand that one can purchase software(?) to erase the hard drive or bring the CPU to a recycle facility. My problem is that I don't have extra cash to do either.  I'm cleaning out my  deceased Mom's home and between the two of us, we have FOUR (4) units.  Could I not just "get into" the inside and destroy whatever it is that may have sensitive information stored?
 I'd be very grateful for your assistance. Unfortunately, there is other hardware that needs to go also--monitors may have to be brought to a recycle ($).
Thank you, Keith,

I'm not sure how much you have worked with computers as far as hardware? I will be as simple as possible. First of all, if the information is very sensitive I would not trust any software to destroy data. That is, if you are getting rid of the machines. If you are getting rid of the machines I would take the hard drives out, take them apart, and (whatever you want to use, fire, a sledge hammer, etc.) destroy the disks inside. They actually hold the data. Here is a link to a picture of a hard drive: http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=PYOEDbj8KmQqFM&tb
If you are not getting rid of the machines and are going to use them, just wipe the drives and start over. Simply go to My Computer (Computer) right click the C drive and click reformat. When doing this keep in mind you will have to have the OS disk to reinstall the operating system.
Get back with me with some clarification of what your plans are for the machines you have.
Sorry about your Mom. Please accept my condolences.  

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Experienced in complete system builds where knowledge of kinds and types of motherboards, processors, and RAM have to be compatible. This includes intermediate knowledge of video card technologies and the troubleshooting and repair of problems associated with said hardware.

11 years experience as a self-employed PC technician with 100% customer satisfaction.

4 classes from a Networking degree. Mostly self-taught.