PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Laptop hardware

Do all (or even most) laptop computers contain an accelerometer?
If so, does it serve any purpose other than parking of the hard drive?

Thanks for your time and expertise.

It will vary from model to model - however newer systems generally do feature an accelerometer (or other method of detecting or predicting a drop, such as monitoring for sudden power loss) to park the heads to prevent head crashes. Manufacturers like Lenovo have marketed this feature overtly in the past; in modern machines, SSDs are becoming popular due to their resiliency to vibration and sudden shocks (especially in machines that are designed to be durable or expect to travel a lot, like the Panasonic Toughbook series, and most Ultrabook systems).

If the system features accelerometers that the host operating system or other software can access, these may be used for software applications running on the machine - in a similar manner to iOS applications on the iPhone, or PlayStation 3 software that is enabled for SIXAXIS control. However, to my knowledge, such a feature is not mainstream and I'm not aware of any software that would need or benefit from such an input configuration on a laptop.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience