PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/RAM transfer

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop pc and I would like to transfer some of my RAM to my other computer which is Lenovo desktop pc. So I would like to know whether or not the Lenovo pc will operate under Dell Inspiron RAM?

You will need more information about the two computers in question - the manufacturer of the system isn't so much a concern, but the type of memory they use is. Specifically we need to know what kind of RAM the Dell and Lenovo use, and if the Lenovo has open memory slots.

This information can be found with a free software utility, CPU-Z: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html (select the auto-install exe from the right).

From the CPU-Z window, you will want to select the Memory and SPD tabs - what information is provided there for each system? In order to take memory from the Dell and install it in the Lenovo, it must be the same type of memory (SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, etc - shown on the Memory page near the top) and the Lenovo must have blank fields under SPD (the drop-down to select Slot 1, 2, etc - some of those must return blank (empty slot); if all slots return SPD data then all slots on the Lenovo are populated.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience