PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Dell N5010 Repair or Upgrade?

Question
Hello Bobbert,

I have a Dell N5010 laptop (4 years old) and it's motherboard is dead.
To repair it, it will cost me about the same to buy a new motherboard. Since I'm paying for a new one, I was wondering if I can upgrade Graffics. The original M.B. code is 06V89F and it's pretty decent, but you know... good is better's enemy!!!
The laptop's service Tag is 5QXZQP1, and the upgrades already made are 4gb RAM and 240gb Sandisc ExtremeII SSD.It was really fast and agile for it's age, and I don't want to replace it just yet. What do you advice me to do?

Best Regards,
Fellow Expert,
Lazaros Ampatzidis.

Answer
No, you won't be able to upgrade the graphics hardware - laptops generally will only allow you to replace like with like, so you'll be set with whatever part it requires. At 4 years, I'd probably just replace the system; good performer or not it likely isn't worth the cost of the replacement part (it depends on how much this replacement part is costing you, and if you're able to install it yourself or require a technician's services). You could, however, very likely retain the memory and SSD for another system. I'd also suggest taking the SSD out and pulling any of your important data off of it before you repair or re-install it somewhere else, just to ensure that your data is safe.

-bob

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Bobbert