PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Heat

Question
My HP Envy laptop seems to get very hot.  I feel air coming out of the vent on the left side, but seems too hot.  I bought a cooling pad to sit it on and that seems to help.  How can I tell if it is getting "too hot?"

Thank you.

Answer
Observing the heat output of a system by touch or other physical sensation isn't an entirely accurate choice - computer hardware can survive much higher temperatures than your hands will find comfortable (60-80* C is not unreasonable at all, for example). If the machine isn't exhibiting any sorts of problems, you likely don't have problems. You could try using a utility like HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) however it may not accurately read information from the system (if you get numbers that are very large (like thousands or millions of degrees), or negative values, that's an indication that it isn't properly reading the sensors). You'd need to know about the specific hardware in your system to have an accurate idea of where the temperature limits are, but generally speaking temperatures in the 50-60* C range are nothing to worry about, and many modern mobile devices can withstand even higher temperatures with regularity.

-bob

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Bobbert