PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Reformatting or re-allocation of drives

I wasn't sure how to word the topic of this email, but here are my specs:

Windows 8.1 64-bit
6gb of RAM DDR3
466GB seagate ST500LT012-9ws142 (SATA)
ASUS Vivobook S500C

Recently i have been getting a lot of error messages telling me there's not enough memory available and that I have to close certain applications. I noticed that even tho I have a 466 GB harddrive, there is only 185gb on the C drive (labeled as "OS") and 258gb on the D drive (labeled DATA). I know I can just move things over to the D drive to free up space on the C drive, but the whole idea of having the 2 seperate drives seems silly to me. What I would like to do is merge them to just have 1 drive with 443gb of space and not have to worry about it. Can I do this?

Michael Harris

Assuming you currently don't have anything on the D: partition then you can do exactly that.

Right-click the Start button, select Disk Management. The move the mouse cursor over the bottom, blue topped, section for the (D:) partition and select Delete Volume.
Then, move your mouse over the (C:) partition and select Extend Volume and hit Next through the Wizard.

When done you'll have the full size of the drive as C:

If you have anything at all in D: when you do this, it'll get deleted so make sure that section is empty first.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Mike Rigsby

Areas of expertise: PC Hardware, Peripherals, Barcode Scanners, Printers, and Applications, Networking, Microsoft Applications. I am good at researching issues and have a lot of contacts in the IT industry. So, if I can't directly answer a question I can likely find the answer. Areas I won't be much help in: Apple Computers, Linux, older Networking technologies like Token Ring, or Thick/Thinnet.

I'm currently a Network Administrator for a contract circuit board manufacturer in Oregon, USA. I've been working on PCs from a hobby standpoint for better than 25 years. I've been doing it professionally for 4+ years.

A+ Certification, Network + Certification, MCP, MCDST, MCITP