PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/UPS

My computer uses an i5 CPU and has 8 GB of memory.  I am using it with a UPS which also has a monitor connected to it.  The UPS is Cyberpower CP850AVRLCD.  It says total output is 12A including surge.  My monitor is also connected to the UPS.  I have an old xp comuter with much less power.  Can I connect it to the same UPS?

By "much less power" what do you mean? Processing power or power consumption? It's important to note that processors like the Pentium 4, while slower than the i5, actually use more electrical power to do their work. And that power supplies on older computers tend to be less efficient, which increases their relative consumption. Finally, what kind of monitors are you using?

I would suggest looking at the nameplate ratings on both machines - it's possible that both will work well enough on the UPS, although you should expected reduced runtime if both are powered-on during a power failure. However it's also entirely possible that the older machine has a maximum draw of somewhere around 10A by itself, and if paired up with the new machine, multiple displays, and so on it would exceed what the UPS is capable of providing. This would not be an advisable configuration, and my advice would be to at least get a separate surge protector for the other computer if that is the case.

If you have further questions, or need clarification, feel free to ask.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience