PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/toshiba laptop and ssd

I have a Toshiba L655-S5096 laptop. The serial number is ZA035104W. I have just updated all drivers and bios.  I am running widows 7 ultimate.  Currently I have a 120 gig ssd working just fine.  I bought a samsung 840 EVO 500 gig ssd.  When I installed it the laptop would not recognize any hdd/ssd.  I formated the drive on another computer and tried again.  The laptop still showed there was no hdd/ssd installed.  What is the storage limitation of this laptop when using an ssd?  When I search online for upgrades for this unit I see 500 gig ssd and even greater.  Why wont it recognize the samsung 550 gig I bought?  My desktop sees it just fine. I am fairly computer literate and have been building my own computer systems for years. This is the first laptop I have owned and although it's older should work fine for a while.  I just want to max out it's potential.

Thank you for any assistance.

Unfortunately when it comes to SSDs and PCs it can sometimes be no explanation at all as to why they don't work.
If you've gotten the laptop BIOS as current as possible then you can also try the SSD in another PC that it works in and see about updating the Firmware of the SSD itself.

Just make very certain that you carefully read over all documentation concerning the process because it's not unheard of to totally brick an SSD trying to update it's firmware.

Once that's done, if it is needed, all I can say would be to boot the laptop into BIOS with the drive installed and see if the system sees it at all. If it still doesn't see the drive there is unfortunately nothing else you can really do about it.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Mike Rigsby

Areas of expertise: PC Hardware, Peripherals, Barcode Scanners, Printers, and Applications, Networking, Microsoft Applications. I am good at researching issues and have a lot of contacts in the IT industry. So, if I can't directly answer a question I can likely find the answer. Areas I won't be much help in: Apple Computers, Linux, older Networking technologies like Token Ring, or Thick/Thinnet.

I'm currently a Network Administrator for a contract circuit board manufacturer in Oregon, USA. I've been working on PCs from a hobby standpoint for better than 25 years. I've been doing it professionally for 4+ years.

A+ Certification, Network + Certification, MCP, MCDST, MCITP