PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/a home for my question

Question
Hi Mike, I posted a question and it came back saying that the expert couldn't answer it as it was better suited to the computer support section.  I couldn't find an exact match to computer support section but hear I am.  I have copied and pasted the question below:

We recently bought our daughter a LeapFrog LeapPad2 power learning tablet.  When I went to set it up online a pop up asked me if I wanted to authorize this program, identified as a "sniffer application."  I canceled because I wasn't sure if this was safe. Its is a well known company, but I don't know if having this program will expose us to potential malware either directly or indirectly.  I would be grateful for any help.  Thank you

Answer
Smart move. I found some discussion online concerning this:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1837557

Apparently Leapfrog feels they should have the right to collect every detail concerning the computer that their software gets installed on so they can potentially sell that information to 3rd parties.

Personally, I'd install it on an old PC that isn't connected to the Internet so that you can program it and then either uninstall it, or leave the PC offline.
Pretty shady business practices I'd say.  

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Mike Rigsby