PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Dell Dimension 4600 GPU Upgrade

I have an old Dell Dimension 4600 desktop PC and am trying to add/upgrade to a dedicated graphics card or AGP.
My system specs are:
(Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 2.66Ghz, 2GB PC 2700 DDR 333 RAM, Windows XP PRO 32 bit).
What kind of Graphics card or AGP can I add to my PC without compatibility issues.

Thank You,

AGP, or Accelerated Graphics Port, is the type of video card slot that machine has and it's speed is AGP 8x.
Generally speaking any AGP card will work fine and can range in price from $30-$300 depending on what you want. If you get a faster card than 8x it'll simply slow down to the speed of the port.

The issues you're going to have are more due to the machine's age.

AGP cards are getting harder to find.

That PC is at it's absolute maximum for RAM and 2GB really isn't enough to do much very well anymore.

And Windows XP is end of support next month so it will no longer receive updates, security patches, etc.

I'd honestly review your budget options and consider replacing the entire system.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Mike Rigsby

Areas of expertise: PC Hardware, Peripherals, Barcode Scanners, Printers, and Applications, Networking, Microsoft Applications. I am good at researching issues and have a lot of contacts in the IT industry. So, if I can't directly answer a question I can likely find the answer. Areas I won't be much help in: Apple Computers, Linux, older Networking technologies like Token Ring, or Thick/Thinnet.

I'm currently a Network Administrator for a contract circuit board manufacturer in Oregon, USA. I've been working on PCs from a hobby standpoint for better than 25 years. I've been doing it professionally for 4+ years.

A+ Certification, Network + Certification, MCP, MCDST, MCITP