PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Dell Dimension GPU Upgrade

Question

I have an old Dell Dimension 4600 desktop PC and am trying to add/upgrade to a dedicated graphics card or AGP.
My system specs are:
(Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 2.66Ghz, 2GB PC 2700 DDR 333 RAM, Windows XP PRO 32 bit).
What kind of Graphics card or AGP can I add to my PC without compatibility issues.

Thank You,

Answer
The options involve so many video cards, I could not begin to list them all. One of the most important things to know when upgrading/adding a GPU is power requirements. You may want to upgrade your power supply along with your GPU otherwise your old power supply may not have enough power to run all the components of your computer and you would run into other issues from all over the place.

I would look up video cards that are of AGP configuration that sound like it would be a nice upgrade for your computer. You can get a general guideline of what specs you may need by looking up games that you want to play and look up their gaming requirements.

Once you have a card you like, you will then need to look for operating system compatibility. Make sure the driver CD that is included with the video card has support for the operating system you are using. If you have Windows XP (default OS on the Dell 4600), make sure that video card you select has drivers for Windows XP for the most ease of use.

If you have Windows 7 installed on the desktop computer, the operating system may or may not have the driver already not requiring the use of the included CD. Even if it has the driver for the graphics card already, sometimes it is still recommended to install the driver with the CD as a more specific driver may perform better with the hardware and allow more options for your specific card.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Flinix