PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Dell won't stop typing

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop running Windows XP.  All of the sudden, it won't stop typing.  It repeats the symbols "fsda123-jkl:\" continuously.  I cannot backspace or delete the symbols fast enough, it just keeps repeating...in every program I've tried so far.  I even popped out my keyboard and disconnected it from the laptop, but that did not resolve the problem!  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (best if it does not involve getting on the internet, as something is also screwy with the networking on the machine and I'm not able to get online).  THANKS!

At first blush I'd say it's one of three things: it has a virus, it has suffered some relatively serious hardware failure, or Windows is damaged and needs to be re-installed ("has a virus" could be a subset of this, if you like).

My advice would be to try booting the machine with something like UBCD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) and seeing if the issue persists - if it still outputs random characters the issue is hardware related, and if removing the keyboard doesn't resolve it, it likely means the end of the machine (you'd have to replace the system board, which probably isn't cost effective, if you can even find one). If it does stop outputting random characters, the issue is software related, and I'd just re-install Windows and save the hassle - as long as you reformat the drive (the entire drive) first, you will both eliminate viruses and catch any problems within Windows itself during the re-install.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience