PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Question

Hello, how are you going? :-) I live in Australia, and have a desktop computer which has been running windows xp till now. But now support for that has stopped, so I have to upgrade to windows 8.1. When I check ed my computer for compatibility with windows 8.1, everything came up fine, except one thing which said:

Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.

I was just wondering if you might know what that means, and how I can fix it, like maybe upgrade something or other on my computer to solve that issue :-)

Thanks heaps for your time, I do appreciate it a lot :-) Kind Regards, from Christina :-)

Secure Boot is a security feature that Windows 8 supports:

How old is your current computer? It may not be able to have this feature added or enabled. That having been said, the Microsoft Technet article explains that Secure Boot is not absolutely required to run Windows 8, as long as your system meets the requirements for Windows 8. However in such a situation, you will not be able to benefit from the feature (as it won't be available).

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience