PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Random Black Screen Crashes

Question
I recently built a gaming pc about 2 months ago that worked great the first 2 weeks then out of no where I started to get these random black screen crashes. The monitor will go black, but it's still receiving a signal, the sound cuts out every time although the amount of time it takes varies but no longer than 2 minutes after initial black screen, and the mouse and keyboard become unresponsive. The HDD light on the case flashes as normal and the fans do not speed up before or after this occurs. I monitor temps and don't do any OC so I'm positive it's not over heating, plus it only seems to occur when web browsing or watching a movie or sometimes when left idle and has never happened during gaming or under any sort of heavy load. I have it set to never go into sleep or turn off the monitor. All drivers and recent updates are installed and I don't have any viruses. Like I said, it seems to happen completely at random, sometimes I can go weeks without problem, other times it will occur multiple times a day and the only way to get it back is to hard restart. I never see any error related to the crash in event viewer, I'm completely perplexed!! Please give me any advice you can offer, I would greatly appreciate it!

Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DSP3
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: Visiontek Radeon R7 260X
PSU: Corsair CX500
RAM: Patriot 8GB
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
HDD: Western Digital 500GB

Answer
This might be directly related to your monitor, or it can be an issue of unstable power from your power supply.

When the issue occurs, turn off your monitor and turn it back on. If you get an image back, this will indicate that your monitor is failing. I've repaired many monitors that have given similar symptoms while using the computer. If your monitor is indeed going out, the cause would be capacitors on the motherboards of the screen have blown. Because what you are experiencing seems to be at "random", the failing screen is definitely plausible as the screen going black (but still receiving a signal, leaving the monitor power indicator on) can occur at any given time and interval.

Now the sound going out a couple minutes later does confuse me to the original issue, but this is why I've also considered a faulty/bad power supply, or worse case scenario, blown capacitors on your motherboard itself. Turn off the computer and unplug it, then open the side case and look at the motherboard for starters. A good light source will be needed to check

To determine the difference between a good and bad capacitor, look at this image http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/mkmscr/2011-02-18_043624_bad_caps.jpg

If a capacitor has a color substance coming out of it, it is most definitely blown and is really easy to identify.

If you run your audio from your graphics card, the sound cutting out a couple minutes after the video could be related to a problem directly with the graphics card.

Worse comes to worse, reseat some of your major components inside the computer itself, such as the RAM, the graphics card and any other cards, and reseat the connections for the hard drive(s) and DVD drive(s).

If none of the above works or applies to your situation, I would recommend having someone local look at your machine.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Flinix