PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Blue Screen Crash - Data Recovery

Question
While browsing a trusted site in Firefox 28, the computer crashed to the blue screen.  Unable to capture any messages.

Tried cold reboot.  Received the following messages:

BOOT MESSAGES:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
Copyright  Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.7(11/02/10)

Check cable connection!
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
No bootable device  -- insert boot disk and press any key

***********************

INFO

Computer:  Gateway laptop model NV75S23u

Usual OS:  MSW7  (auto updates)
Alternate OS:  Fedora 20  (not dual boot)

In BIOS setup information panel:  HDD0 Model Name:  <blank>
In BIOS boot information panel:  HDD0 Model Name:  <blank>

ATAPI model name is present

Network boot:  Atheros Boot Agent - Atheros fails to boot, even when hard-wired to router

Boots from ATAPI CD/DVD ROM:  repair disk or Fedora 20

Repair disk sees no restore points

HDD0 should be visible in Fedora, but is not.  CD/DVD device is visible.

**********************

QUESTIONS:

What is your opinion as to the cause of the crash?

What is the probability that any data can be recovered?

Are there any do-it-yourself recovery methods?

If I need to take it to a repair shop, what questions should I ask of them?

Many thanks for your service.

Answer
Well the issue explained shortly is your hard drive failed and getting data recovered can be done but will be expensive and time consuming. This explains why you could not see any info on the hard drive portion nor can you see any restore points.

If you send your hard drive to a data recovery facility, given the type of failure your hard drive seems to have experienced, I would see a high probability of full data recovery as the physical disks inside the hard drive are likely intact.

Do it yourself recovery methods are pretty much null. You will need a special environment and special tools to recover the data on a failed hard drive.

Taking the computer to a repair shop will only have the hard drive replaced and a new OS placed on it, but your data will not be restored through them.

Hope this helps, sorry for the loss, have a great day!

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Flinix