PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Equipment to level spikes

Dear Bobbart,

I am attempting to do research into something that tends to run on computer monitors. There is a piece of equipment built into a monitor power cord the levels the spikes or variations in the electricity and I do not know what it is called.

Do you have any idea of the name or of anyone who might know?

Thank you,

Do you have a picture of what you're trying to locate?

Off-handedly it sounds like you're describing the snap-on ferrites that some display cables use, you can read about those on Wikipedia (the article does have pictures too): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

They aren't what I'd call "equipment" in that they're entirely passive devices, and they don't serve to "level spikes or variations" - their purpose is to block (or reduce) high frequency noise.

From the "level spikes or variations" comment I'm more inclined towards a CVT or AVR device, but that won't be built into a cable - it will be a large stand-alone unit that provides cleaner electrical power for whatever is hooked into it (and they can get very expensive depending on capacity). You can read about those kinds of devices on Wikipedia too,

Common manufacturers of AVR/CVT devices include companies like TrippLite and APC. For example see here: http://www.tripplite.com/sku/LC1200

If none of this is related to the specific device you're after, please try explaining or describing the device again, and add pictures if at all possible.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience