PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Memory Question

If DDR3 1600 defaults to 1333MHz when installed, does the latency drop as well? I found some 1600 CL7 sticks, and was wondering what the latency would be if this dropped to 1333.

It may or may not - it depends on the timing scheme for the specific memory set. Check the manufacturer's specifications to confirm, however it is likely that it will run at CL7 at both 1333 and 1600. Additionally, it is worth noting that the performance differences here are often insignificant, and there is generally nothing wrong with using default timings.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience