PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/laptop o/s mirroring

i have 4 toshiba laptops . 2 are windows 7 and 2 are windows 8.in both cases 1 laptop is working anmd the other eith has had the blue screen of death or some other issue where it wont even restart in safe mode or if it does go to safe mode or repair mode. you cant get even a full restore to day 1 setting to work.. in both computers cases i have made a restore memory stick using the other exact same laptop to try to boot from and this doesnt work either.

So my question is simple. is there a way to mirror my O/S from the working laptop onto the non working laptop. and yes i do own a 100 gb external memory storage unit if its possible to mirror to it and then plug it into the dead unit. or can i simply make a patch cord with 2 usb ends and connect the working unit directly to the dead unit.

my background is an as in elect eng so you can be slightly technical with your answer. but my training was hardware back in the 80's so i am not up on going into the dos. or black screen. my field was power engineering so computers were never my strong suit. but i have replaced hard drives and broken displays in my time.

i am the expert tbaarr here so feel free to read my answers on investing and maybe i can return the favor of your help. thank you for your time and i hope you do not feel i have wasted your time.

Hello Chuck.

You can definitely clone the working setup to the non-working setup as long as the hardware for each set of laptops are the same. If the hardware is different for each set of computers, the copy may not boot up on the second computers hardware. If the computers of each set are at least of the same model series, you should be fine enough to boot and then at the most, need to install device drivers for the new system. For older operating systems, the hardware was harder to swap around than the newer Windows 7 and Windows 8, so you should be OK.

I'm going to link you to a website where there are a few options for doing your cloning. http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-and-reliable-cloning-tools/

The first option is Clonezilla. This will probably be your best option since to use it, it is a bootable program (bootable as in it is like a mini operating system), meaning you can use it on the non-booting computer without needing to be able to get into Windows. I recommend doing this with your external 100GB that you mentioned. You will boot into the program on the working computer, have the laptops hard drive imaged onto the external drive. You will then boot into the non-working computer using Clonezilla, then using the 100GB external as the source drive this time, image the external drive to the laptop hard drive.

NOTE: The 100GB hard drive needs to be large enough to hold all the data on the working computer. The imaging process will take a while to complete per time performed as it is copying the information on the hard drive bit by bit for a true "clone".

If your 100GB hard drive is not big enough to hold all the data for a true "clone", you can pull the hard drive from the non-working laptop (if it is the same size or bigger as the working laptop hard drive) and install it in the 100GB hard drive enclosure by disassembling the 100GB casing granting access to the data/power interface that originally powered the 100GB hard drive. If the laptop's hard drive and 100GB hard drive are of different types, meaning say the 100GB is of the older IDE configuration and the laptop hard drive is of a SATA interface, then an enclosure for the type of connector that you need can be found for less than 10 bucks.

Here is an enclosure that I have for less than 10 bucks. It is easily disassembled to swap out hard drives in about a minute. It even comes with a screwdriver to take it apart and reassemble it. Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-USB-2-0-SATA-2-5-Hard-Drive-Disk-HDD-External-E

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I can answer most No POST problems, compatibility between parts, upgrade options, troubleshooting, etc. Before you ask me a question, please do some research. I do not give PC speed reviews for video games.

Many, many years of experience working with the hardware components of many types of computers including desktops, laptops, kiosk computers, and even running Windows 3.1, 95, and 98 on the PSP (Sony PlayStation Portable). I've replaced capacitors on desktop motherboards making them working like new again with a high success rate. This is my hobby/job every day.

Associates of Science in Computer Information Technology