PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Cracked Touch Screen on Laptop


Hi! Thank you for using your talents to help others with computer questions!

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3521 with a crack that has developed on the touch screen. I see digitizers on Ebay for around sixty dollars. Would a digitizer be what I need to fix this issue?

Thanks very much!

What do you mean by "digitizer"? The touch-control element that overlays the LCD itself? Depending on the damage to your computer this may or may not be the part that needs replacement, but without hands-on on the machine it is impossible for me to say one way or another. I would advise taking the machine to an authorized repair center (or contacting Dell directly) regarding this issue, as screen replacement can be a relatively delicate procedure depending on the machine (and improper repairs can easily lead to further damage). If the system is under warranty, I would absolutely suggest contacting Dell for warranty repairs, as opposed to attempting to fix the problem yourself.

Sorry to not be of much more help, but some problems are not easily addressed via an online format.


PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.


I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.