QUESTION: Keith Hi I have Dell Dimension E521,  I have not used the computer for some time. I get the following message. SYSTEM BATTERY VOLTAGE IS LOW.  PRESS F1 TO Continue,  F2 Set Up.  When I hit F1 I get  A message, no BOOT DEVICE DETECTED.  PLEASE HELP,   THANK YOU Ken

ANSWER: The cmos battery needs to be replaced first. If you don't feel comfortable doing this I would take it to someone who does.
It consists of opening the case and replacing the coin sized battery on the motherboard. Of course do this with the power off and unplugged. You have to make you ground yourself by touching the outside of the case before touching anything inside to avoid static electricity.
Hopefully the cmos battery went dead while the computer was not being used. This would cause it not to recognize the hard drive. Otherwise the hard drive could be bad.
Let me know how it goes.

QUESTION: Keith Hi,  I replaced the battey per your instructions, I no longer get the low battery message,  but I do get the following. following   BOOT FROM CD:  NO BOOT DEVICE DETECTED, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE OR PTESS F2 TO SETUP MENU.  Please Help  Thank you Ken

See if you can boot to a cd. It would be great if you had the operating system disk. You could boot to it and run chkdsk to see if the hard drive is bad. You can download free boot disks from http://www.majorgeeks.com/
One very basic thing to do, if you haven't already, is check the drive connections. Power and data. Also leave the case open when booting and see if you can hear the drive spinning.
Let me know what happens and we will go from there. Worst case scenario, the drive is bad.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Experienced in complete system builds where knowledge of kinds and types of motherboards, processors, and RAM have to be compatible. This includes intermediate knowledge of video card technologies and the troubleshooting and repair of problems associated with said hardware.

11 years experience as a self-employed PC technician with 100% customer satisfaction.

4 classes from a Networking degree. Mostly self-taught.