PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/No signal to monitor

Question
QUESTION: I received an old Acer Aspire M1100 computer several months ago and put a GeForce 9500GT Video card in. I changed the BIOS graphics settings from onboard to PCI to make it work. This all worked fine for several months. Recently my computer had some power problems. I unplugged all the cords that led from the power supply, plugged them back in, and I no longer have power problems. But since then, I have no signal to my monitor. I have tried 2 monitors and 2 monitor cables. I tried unplugging the video card and using the RGB port, but still no signal. I found suggestions to remove and replace both the CMOS battery and the RAM and have tried that to no avail either. Any ideas to get the monitor signal? Thanks!

ANSWER: The first thing that comes to mind is power. When you go from onboard graphics to a video card there will be more power consumption. If the power supply was at it's limit before the card was added it could have pushed it over the top. Not enough power can damage components. I looked up the specs of the Acer Aspire M1100 and it only has a 250 watt power supply.
I would try a 500 watt. Hopefully everything will still work. If I am correct about power there is a chance something might be damaged.
Have you tried another outlet? What led you to believe there were power problems? Is there enough cooling for the pc? Ever check temperature?
Stay in touch with more info as you find out and we will get to the bottom of this.

QUESTION: The power problem I had was that the computer wouldn't even turn on. I thought it was just a loose connection. Overheating definitely could have been an issue. And I have tried multiple outlets both with an without a surge protector power bar.

Answer
This is tough one. I don't think 250 watts is enough and this could be the issue. However, there are a few other things that come to mind. When you replaced the cmos battery most likely the bios was reset. Any updates would be gone and have to be reapplied.
If the power supply got to where it could not push enough power there could have been a short that damaged the card or onboard video or both.
From here it is hard to do anything due to not being able to see what is going on. If money is not an object I would buy a new power supply and video card. If this didn't work the problem is probably worse than it is worth to fix.  

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Keith