PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/problems with Thunderbird email

I have had the same problem with the character with the carrot on the top,  inserted into emails in Mozilla Thunderbird that I have received as answers to my emails. I am on Windows 7 with whatever are the final updates available there, I am running Thunderbird 31.1.1 . Mozilla seems to have made changes to how it handles ( or now, mishandles) font displays. I have made no changes to my system's display settings until trying to correct this problem. Again, I have never seem these odd characters ( and others) until recently, and they come from within my own system.

My Tools>Options>Display>Formatting>Advanced>CharacterEncodings settings were originally: Outgoing Mail: Unicode (UTF-8) Incoming Mail: Western (ISO 8859-1)

Per  one suggestion above, changed both to Unicode (UTF-8).  Than some other settings.  Still the same

Thank you,   Gabe

That character is often displayed as a result of the system either not having the correct font to render the text you've received (e.g. you're receiving Japanese characters in an email and don't have a Japanese font loaded), or formatting/encoding errors in the text where punctuation or other unicode characters should appear. The issue is not necessarily local - it may be with the sender, or the email service you're using as well.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience