PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Reducing speed on PC fan.

Question
Hello.

I have this old 1980's vintage stereo receiver. it works very well, but there is one small problem. it gets Extremely hot after a very short time of use. I decided that the best solution was to take a pc fan and cut the ends off of the wires and solder the wires to an ac adapter. that way i can use the PC fan to cool down my receiver when i am using it.

The fan works very well at cooling down my receiver, but there is a problem.when ever i have the fan running the fan runs at full speed and get VERY LOUD. i would like to reduce the speed of the fan so the fan is not so loud when i am trying to listen to music.

I believe that the only way for me to reduce the speed of my small pc fan is for me to switch out to a smaller output AC adapter. The problem is, I don't know what exactly would be the best output for the ac adapter to reduce the speed of my fan.

--My current PC fan requires 12V AT .19A (190 MA)--

--The current ac adapter i use has an output of 12V AT .5A (500 MA)--

Once again i would like to know what would be the best output for an ac adapter to safely reduce the speed of my pc fan by about 25-40% so its not as loud.

So should i reduce the voltage of the ac adapter?
(EX: replace my current ac adapter with one of 9 volts and 500 MA)

Or should i reduce the current (amps) of the ac adapter?

(EX: replace my current ac adapter with one of 12 volts and 100 MA)

Or should i get an AC adapter with a lower output voltage AND current?

(EX: replace my current ac adapter with one of 9 volts and 100 MA)

Answer
You have a couple of options here:

- You can get a quieter fan.
- You can reduce the voltage into the fan (which will reduce its speed, and quiet it, at the expense of air flow).
- You can get a fan controller.

You wouldn't want to reduce the current output of the AC adapter, but given the demands of the fan you have, that probably isn't much of a concern (I would think 500 mA is a very safe range; the fan will only draw what it needs of course). Reducing the voltage of the fan too far may cause it to not start; usually going below 7V is where that may become an issue, and very few fans will start below 5V. 9V should be fine.

As far as a quieter fan, the Vantec Stealth series are very good. You can read about them here: http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/113 (they come in a variety of sizes, from 60mm to 120mm; select what size you need).

As far as a fan controller, you would probably want to consider something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Fan-Speed-Controller-FANMATE-2/dp/B000292DO0/ref=sr

You would feed the power into that, and then use its dial to control the fan speed (it varies voltage out to the fan; some LED fans may blink with fan controllers).

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

-bob

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Bobbert