PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/What do you do?

Question
Hi Mike

Do you use free anti-virus and malware software that is on the internet today or do you pay for it? If you use the free products or pay for them on the net who do you go with?

I currently have windows 8.1

I use to have windows 8. Now that I have windows 8.1 after the installation windows was asking me then to download and install windows 10. That's strange. What ever happened to windows 8.2 through 9.9?

At the moment I'm using Microsoft windows defender. It says it will protect me from the latest viruses and malware, but it's annoying how the software keeps expects me to keep manually updating it every few hours or at least every day.

How often do you download and install windows updates?

Answer
On my personal Pc I just use Windows Defender, coupled with the free version of Malwarebytes and that works pretty well. You can add in an Adblocker and various browser settings to help fight viruses also.

Avira also makes a good free anti-virus. There's honestly many different free anti-virus programs available and most do quite well.

Windows version wise, technically Windows 10 is the 10th version of a full Windows operating system.

Lots of excessive geek speak that will just make you yawn but basically Windows 3.1 and before we're true operating systems. They were just an overlay over the top of DOS. So fully functional operating system wise there has been.

1. Windows NT (several different releases)
2. Windows 95
3. Windows 98
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows ME
6. Windows XP
7. Windows Vista
8. Windows 7
9. Windows 8/8.1
10. Windows 10

So it ends up making sense with their numbering.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Mike Rigsby