PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/What do you do?

Hi Flinix

Do you use free anti-virus and malware software that is on the internet today or do you pay for it? If you use the free products or pay for them on the net who do you go with and why?

I currently have windows 8.1

I use to have windows 8. Now that I have windows 8.1 after the installation windows was asking me then to download and install windows 10. That's strange. What ever happened to windows 8.2 through 9.9?

At the moment I'm using Microsoft windows defender. It says it will protect me from the latest viruses and malware, but it's annoying how the software keeps expects me to keep manually updating it every few hours or at least every day.

How often do you download and install windows updates?

I don't use Windows except on rare occasion. I use Linux as my main operating system with a dual boot setup with Windows XP. I also don't use any antivirus on Windows since antivirus doesn't usually stop the core virus if one gets into the computer. If I get a virus, I just wipe the operating system and install it as if the computer was brand new. I usually don't ever get a virus because there is wealth in knowledge of how to avoid getting the virus in the first place.

As for Windows 8 to 8.1, 8.1 was just an update to Windows 8 since so many people hated the removal of a start menu. Windows 8.1 can simply be refered to as "Windows 8 Service Pack 1"

Windows 9 doesn't exist via that name for reasons I am unsure. I do not know if Microsoft ever explained that one. It could be to remove confusion with Windows 98 and Windows 95 as names easily misrepresented.

Windows Defender is fine to let run. Windows Update will often update Windows Defender for you. Windows Defender is essentially the same thing as Microsoft Essentials

As for Windows updates, I very rarely install updates. I will install Windows service packs, but I will immediately turn off updates and close the background service from running to both save resources as well as get rid of the annoyance and possible loss of saved data when an update automatically restarts the computer in the middle of my work. Because I do not run Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10, there is no Windows Defender to update, so updates would not benefit me in that manner.

Hopes this helps figure some ideas you had in mind. Have a great day!

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I can answer most No POST problems, compatibility between parts, upgrade options, troubleshooting, etc. Before you ask me a question, please do some research. I do not give PC speed reviews for video games.

Many, many years of experience working with the hardware components of many types of computers including desktops, laptops, kiosk computers, and even running Windows 3.1, 95, and 98 on the PSP (Sony PlayStation Portable). I've replaced capacitors on desktop motherboards making them working like new again with a high success rate. This is my hobby/job every day.

Associates of Science in Computer Information Technology