PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Framerate Issues

QUESTION: I play quite a bit of Steam games, one being Ark: Survival Evolved. When me and my friend play, I hop on my single-player and then I invite him. So he is basically playing on my server. The problem is that I have to load the whole map, npcs, resources, etc. And my computer cant handle it the best. My question is: What would I have to upgrade to run this smoother, without framerate issues?

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
Installed Memory(RAM): 8.00 GB(3.96 Usable)
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate
Graphics Card: GForce GTX 750Ti
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD

Also, just by personal opinion, is Windows 10 worth upgrading to? It keeps bugging me to upgrade...

ANSWER: Your graphics card would be my first suggestion for an upgrade. I am wondering about your installed memory however.

I have a feeling your Windows 7 Ultimate installation is only 32-bit since it says that you only have 3.96 usable. With 8GB of memory you should have far more than that showing as usable.

32-bit Windows can't use more than 4GB of RAM so having 8GB physically in your PC is wasted because half of your installed memory isn't capable of being used.

If your computer properties says that your Windows is 32-bit then you should probably look into upgrading to a new PC.

As far as Windows 10 goes, it's pretty decent. I run Windows 10 on my home pc and my work laptop and like it. I'd say it's worth upgrading to but probably not on your current PC since that won't help your 32-bit memory limitation.

QUESTION: I checked and I have the 64-bit version. I disabled On-Board Graphics through BIOS. And I looked and my computer shows that there is 8GB installed but it's just not using it. I have no idea why that would be happening. Any advice?

This article mentions a few things to check so I'll just post the link versus writing them out.

First thing to check is to type msconfig into either your Search box on the Start Menu, or Run, depending on which one you have.
Then on the Boot tab click the Advanced Options button. At the top of that section there's a checkbox and drop down for Number of Processors, and one for Maximum Memory.
Make sure the one for Maximum Memory is NOT checked. If it is, then that might be set to 4GB and artificially limiting the amount of memory your system sees.

If that's not selected then the next thing I would do is go to Gigabytes website and look up the downloads for your motherboard and make sure your BIOS is the most recent version. If it isn't then download the newest version and install it.

If your system is indeed x64 then it definitely should be seeing more than only half your memory.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Mike Rigsby

Areas of expertise: PC Hardware, Peripherals, Barcode Scanners, Printers, and Applications, Networking, Microsoft Applications. I am good at researching issues and have a lot of contacts in the IT industry. So, if I can't directly answer a question I can likely find the answer. Areas I won't be much help in: Apple Computers, Linux, older Networking technologies like Token Ring, or Thick/Thinnet.

I'm currently a Network Administrator for a contract circuit board manufacturer in Oregon, USA. I've been working on PCs from a hobby standpoint for better than 25 years. I've been doing it professionally for 4+ years.

A+ Certification, Network + Certification, MCP, MCDST, MCITP