PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Keys stopped working

Hi Bobbert,
I'd greatly appreciate it if you could provide some input for a problem I have with my laptop (Windows 7). The "soft thing" in the "H" key came loose, so I used a bit of glue to glue it back on to my keyboard. But then, five keys stopped working: the left Alt key, "Q," "S," "D," and "G." The "h" is still working. I scraped off the glue, but it does not help. What is wrong, and how can it be fixed? I know never to get any glue onto my keyboard again. Thank you in advance!

The keyboard has likely developed a short, either from the initial damage, or the application of glue and subsequent attempted repair. It will likely need to be replaced. As it is built-in to a laptop, this may be relatively expensive and require the assistance of a qualified technician.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience