PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Reset "permanent" BIOS settings and slow boot

I have a Dell Precision M4500.

In the BIOS setup (version A12), I noticed some options have a label like, "Once set, this cannot be changed," or similar. I do not know if this is BIOS or UEFI. It seems to be a combination of both. How do I clear these settings, to change them again? I want to know this because some prankster set the service tag to a silly message, and I want to set it to my real service tag.

Also, my boot time is horrible.
20 seconds from power-up to POST
90 seconds to open one-time boot menu, diagnostics, or BIOS setup
2.5 minutes from POST to the OS boots up
Normal OS boot time, and system performs well after boot. My boot times increase to 2x, 3x, or even 4x those values when the system is on AC power.

System specs:
Dell Precision M4500
1.73 GHz Quad-core CPU
8 GB (8192 MB) DDR3 memory on two cards, 4096 MB each
250GB Hard disk drive
Removable CD/DVD drive
Wi-fi, no bluetooth or WWAN.
No fingerprint reader
No touchless smartcard
No backlit keyboard
Precision ON supported, but no card
81 WH 9-cell battery
Windiws 7 Professional (severely damaged installation)
BIOS version A12
No applications
Service tag: FC1JFQ1
Thanks for the help.

There's a tool called the Dell Client Configuration Toolkit that MIGHT allow you to change that Asset Tag field but I've never used it myself so I'm not certain of that. You can find it here.

Aside from that you're probably best to call them and ask their Tech Support folks if there's a way if that toolkit doesn't work.

As far as the slow boot times, you should update your BIOS since it looks like the newest version is A15. I'd also recommend updating any drivers that there is a newer version of and turning off Intel Speedstepping in the BIOS.

Booting slower on AC Power than it does on Battery is an odd one since usually I'd expect that to be the other way around. Your AC Adapter might be faulty and not putting out enough power.

Also, for sake of performance increase and speeding up the boot time I also highly recommend moving to a solid-state drive. You'll see substantially better performance with an SSD.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Mike Rigsby

Areas of expertise: PC Hardware, Peripherals, Barcode Scanners, Printers, and Applications, Networking, Microsoft Applications. I am good at researching issues and have a lot of contacts in the IT industry. So, if I can't directly answer a question I can likely find the answer. Areas I won't be much help in: Apple Computers, Linux, older Networking technologies like Token Ring, or Thick/Thinnet.

I'm currently a Network Administrator for a contract circuit board manufacturer in Oregon, USA. I've been working on PCs from a hobby standpoint for better than 25 years. I've been doing it professionally for 4+ years.

A+ Certification, Network + Certification, MCP, MCDST, MCITP