PCOD/PCOS - Polycystic Ovaries/Hirsutism; Natural Treatment; Diet

Question
Hello,
I am 20 and was diagnosed with PCOS about 4 years ago.  I was originally put on birth control and spirolatone.  In February, I stopped taking birth control and the spirolactone never seemed to work, and I stopped taking that about 2 years ago.  I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember and was diagnosed with PCOS when I went to the doctor because of abnormal hair growth.  My hair growths on my chest, breasts, side burns, my thighs and, the worse one, on my chin.  
When I first noticed the hair at about 13 or so, I didn't know what to do with it, so I shaved it all.  It worked for a while, but then it began to grow so thick and dark that shaving was useless.  
Last month, I got the hair removed through threading/waxing and, now, I am using hair removal creams.  The threading/waxing was not ideal because it needs to be a certain length to remove that way, which is embarrassing because it is dark hair.  I am going to try another treatment today, but the creams do not seem to be working.  
I have lost weight recently (~200 to 180 lbs), but am still struggling with symptoms.  I have regular periods and no acne.
I want to avoid taking medications, but I am running out of options.  I have read several books about a PCOS-friendly diet, but they seem to contradict each other, so I am confused on what to eat.  I am also vegetarian and many PCOS diet books recommend against vegetarianism.
From your experience, what removal methods work well for hirsutism?  Also, do you recommend any books about PCOS diet and/or recommend any foods to avoid?
Thanks!

Answer
Women with PCOS tend to have higher than normal insulin levels. A vegetarian diet could possibly make this worse if you are eating too many carbohydrates. The right types of high fiber carbohydrates paired with protein at meal times can help lower insulin levels. I would recommend having your blood work checked again, and seeing a dietician after having your insulin levels checked. You didn't say what type of doctor diagnosed you, the best type of doctor for your PCOS is a reproductive endocrinologist or even a regular endocrinologist could be very helpful with your symptoms. I hope this helps.  

PCOD/PCOS - Polycystic Ovaries

Christy Morgan