Pagan/Wiccan Religion/Candles

Im an 11 year old solitary Wiccan, and neither of my parents are Wiccan. My mother is fine with me practicing but she doesn't want me using candles alone. Is there a substitute for candles in richuals?

Greetings!  Actually, there are many Wiccans who don't use candles in ritual for many reasons.  Safety would be the top reason.  When I started having my animal companions in my circle, I definitely had to get rid of candles!  Luckily, a candle is only as important as you want it to be, so you are free to explore other options.  I know many people who use plastic holiday candles (either battery powered or electric).  If you're looking to add light to a certain color, try using colored plastic wrap or cellophane over flashlights.  Colored plastic wrap is relatively new, and available in your local supermarkets.  I hope this has helped!

Pagan/Wiccan Religion

Rev. Emilie Conroy

How does anyone ever learn about this stuff? What are the basics? Who will answer my questions without making me feel stupid? My friends, helping everyday folks learn what they really want to know is why I'm here. I help seekers with the nuts and bolts of our spiritual traditions--gaining knowledge, living the paths, rites of attunement and celebration, dealing with skeptics and naysayers, ethical and moral questions, the practical application of our philosophies to daily life, and the very base but crucial questions such as "What does it mean to be Wiccan/Pagan?" My job is to serve you and the Powers That Be.

I think I had the best and healthiest spiritual upbringing a child could experience. To begin, my parents were themselves spiritual explorers, having thought through the mainstream dogma of their youth to a point of universal acceptance and a belief of the divine inherent in everything (and in nothing) . We had no labels and really didn’t need any. They taught me the basics of morality and ethics, and the significance of the intangible, that which really couldn’t be described in words. There were Neopagan and Wiccan influences, but I was encouraged to study and experience all faiths so that I might be of better service to humanity. I began my studies in depth with the Temple of the Ways, a progressive Wiccan-themed tradition celebrating the goddess Nehallenia. In addition to being an active member in the Re-Formed Congregation of the Goddess, I also began several new projects and initiatives—Spiral Way, Grove of the Seven Sisters, the Tribe of Theagenia, the Sisterhood of Themiskyra, and most recently the Melusines. I am a regular participant and occasional ritual leader in several local covens and circles. But I go where I am needed, and so I often serve as visiting clergy with other groups. My favorite action is when I attend interfaith gatherings as a representative of alternative faiths. I carry the community with me, and I am honored to speak as best I can on everyone’s behalf. Walking my path has been a sincere spiritual adventure, one that has challenged ideas of which I was once certain and one that has helped me develop new thoughts. That I have evolved in mind and spirit over the years is an absolute for me. At the end of the day, I would like to discover who we are and why are we here.

I earned my BA from Muhlenberg College in History/Religious Studies/Linguistics in 1993, and went on to pursue graduate studies at Florida State University. I have both taken and taught independent coursework in the history of Neopaganism, Reconstructionism, group and individual therapy, group dynamics, and mediation/conflict resolution.