Pagan/Wiccan Religion/A question about Wicca's position on suicide

Question
Brightest Blessings!

Hi, my life partner and I were watching a program about suicide, a discussion started about whether or not Wicca,as a life affirming faith,was against suicide. I said that it was,because the Rede says 'harm none',and naturally,that includes yourself. My life partner said 'well,if our incarnations are planned out in the Summerland, couldn't we have *planned* to commit suicide?'

That stumped me. Can you please provide some insight,and perhaps settle the debate? Could suicide be decided by a soul before an incarnation as the way in which it will die,or is it always something that will see a soul sent back to this plane because it did not fulfill its life's purpose for that 'go round'?

Answer
I mediate this topic quite a bit, and it can often be like a dog chasing his tail.  "Harm None" seems easy enough...until we really start to think about it.  For instance, germs are alive.  Bacteria are alive.  When we are ill, should we refuse antibiotics on the basis that the drug will "harm" these living creatures?  After all, it doesn't say "Harm none, except..."

All right, so here's my considered opinion.  In Wicca we like to talk about karma, a word that is the Sanskrit for "action" (basically).  It's a little more complicated than comes around, goes around.  Karma is what we do, it is our actions, all of which will eventually (maybe this lifetime, maybe this week, maybe when we come back as cats) be balanced.

Thus, commit suicide now, learn the lessons of that action later.  Suicide is only a temporary reprieve from the cycle of the universe.

Also, we need to consider the context in which "Harm None" is largely believed to have come.  In 1964 Doreen Valiente published the Wiccan Rede as "Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill, An it harm none do what ye will."  There's some debate, but many agree Valiente was inspired by Aliester Crowley's phrase in his Book of the Law--"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law".  The "will" of wilt winds up as something like karma--you do what you do and that is in accord with the universe on the very premise that you have done it.

Essentially, sweep the Rede aside and look at the matter from other angles.  I'm not 100% one way or the other about fate and predestination, but the idea of the die being cast before we are even incarnated is certainly as valid as anything.

"If it wasn't meant to happen, it wouldn't be happening."

I hope I've provided some insight!

Pagan/Wiccan Religion

Rev. Emilie Conroy