Pagan/Wiccan Religion/Dead Sparrows

My husband and I are in the process of buying a new house (well new to us, its 160+ years old). On the home inspection I noticed there are 4 dead sparrows nailed to the rafters in the basement (all in a row). Their bodies are on the rafter with wings folded behind, head pointed up. They face the East. I am wondering if this is anything significant or just the miscreant behavior of child. I don't know anything of the faith of the previous owners. Thank you in advance for your help.

To the ancient Greeks the sparrow was a creature of Aphrodite, goddess of love; it was also associated with Lesbia of the island of Lesbos. Probably because of its connection with love deities, the sparrow came to symbolize lust, wantonness, and fertility.

Superstitions: The sparrow was consecrated to the Roman Penates, making it sacred. Today there is still the belief in many countries that killing this bird brings evil upon you. Never catch or cage a sparrow or you will be unlucky. In several areas of Britain, the sparrow is regarded as a symbol of the friendly spirits of the household and is cherished.

Magickal attributes: love, desire, fertility. Getting pregnant. Bringing love into your life.

I wish I could be more help.  It's hard to know the motive without knowing if they were found dead before they were placed or killed to be placed.

I'd remove them as respectfully as possible and given a proper burial instead of thrown away.  placing them in an old pillow case tied shut with red string and buried is a good way to make sure that if they were placed there with ill intent, the intent is neutralized.  

If it would make you feel better to bless the house after this is done, message me back and I'll walk you through it.

Pagan/Wiccan Religion

Rev. Amy Blackthorn Ph.D, DD. HPS, RM

I teach Wicca 101, 202 and more specific advanced subjects. I can answer questions on several Traditions. I have experience in subjects including, Astrology, Wicca, Folk Magic, and indigenous Religions, including Voudou, Greek and Celtic Reconstruction, Native Herbal uses, Hoodoo and Green Witch Craft. I am a Usui Reiki Master, as well as a trained in several other forms of healing.

I have 17+ years experience in the above topics, including the Initiatory traditions of Gardnerian Wicca and Green Witchcraft.

Maryland Delaware Wiccan Pagan Alliance, Alternative Religions Education Network, Lady Liberty League, Pagan Clergy Association

My first publication was in "The Seeker Journal" at the age of 16. This was an 18 page in depth look at the similarities between Wiccan holy days and Christian ones.

Numerous degrees including one in Horticulture and initiation into different Religious orders, including Susun Weed's and other Pagan Authors, Scholars and Elders.