Pagemaker (Adobe)/spell check problem

QUESTION: I am using pagemaker 7.0. I was able to run spell check in all past documents successfully.  Recently I created several new documents and tried to run spell check when they were completed and I get this message:  Dictionary is missing or does not support spelling. I've created more new documents and still no spell check function.  Any help you can lend will be creately appreciated as I have a large project coming up soon.

Sharon Metcalfe

ANSWER: Hi Sharon -

Sorry for the delay in responding to you.

What operating system are you on?
When you did NOT have issues with the spell check, were you on a different operating system.

I only ask that in Windows 7 (and possibly 8, although I haven't tried it), Pagemaker MUST be started up with the 'Run as Administrator' option when you right-click on the shortcut. The spell check option is not an 'inherent' part of the Pagemaker program - it's a separately loaded application.

Any kind of additional info would be great!

QUESTION: Jim, thank you for your response.   I am using Windows 7 when on this computer when spell check worked and it won't work now on new documents. However when it worked it was on files that had been brought in from another computer when I was running Windows XP and I am merely updating those files...spell check is available on those. Any new docs I get the error message listed in my original question.  I have right clicked on the pagemaker icon and selected run as administrator and no change. Do I need to open a new document, then right click on run as administrator and begin entering text into that document. Do I need to do this each time I create a new document? I'm really confused. Sorry, Sharon Metcalfe

ANSWER: Hi Sharon!

Let me get this straight:

IF the document was PREVIOUSLY created on an XP machine and is opened on Windows 7 for updating there is no problem spell checking in Pagemaker/Windows 7

IF you attempt to create a new document, in Pagemaker/Windows 7,spell check fail, even if you 'Run as Administrator' on opening Pagemaker.

Does that sum it up? Please correct me if my understanding is wrong...

QUESTION: Jim absolutely correct.

Rats... that's too bad!

OK - With Pagemaker shut down, you tried going either to a desktop icon OR the start menu, right clicking, and selected 'Run as Administrator'. You found:
1. Old documents, the spell checker worked
2. New documents, spell check DID NOT work

Try this.
1. With Pagemaker shut down, right click and select 'Run as Administrator'.
2. Do NOT open a document yet, either previous or new.
3. Select Paragraph Specification (Control-M)
4. If "Dictionary" is blank, select "English" or another language. (If it is NOT blank, pretend that it is and re-select the appropriate dictionary).
5. Click "OK"
6. When the screen clears, do a Control-M and see if the selected Dictionary is in place.
7. Shut down Pagemaker
8. With Pagemaker shut down, right click and select 'Run as Administrator'.
9. Verify there is a proper default directory.
10. If you have already created a document under Windows 7, one that will not spell check, open it.(Otherwise, create a 1 pager in PM with a simple textybox and some text.. it really doesn't matter what)
11. Do the Control-M and verify the dictionary. If it's NOT there, do as in Step 4 and 5.
12. Drop your text tool onto the text.
13. Select all the text (Control-A)
14. Right click and Select "Spelling"
15. See what happens!!!

You can do the same procedure (Steps 8-15) with an old XP document and see what happens.

You can also load the text into the Story Editor and see if spell check works for you there....

Play around with these ideas when you have the chance then let me know what happens. It may just be that the version of PM (7.00,01,or 02)and the Win7 level are incompatible. It's a known problem, unfortunately. If worse comes to worse:

Open the Program Compatibility troubleshooter by
1. clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button,
2. clicking Control Panel.
3. In the search box, type troubleshooter
4. click Troubleshooting.
5. Under Programs, click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.

Follow the instructions in the troubleshooter.

Keep me informed!!!

Pagemaker (Adobe)

James Stefanie

Willing and able to answer questions regarding most aspects of PageMaker and Adobe InDesign, including use, design, printing, pre-press decisionmaking and structuring, output for printing, PDFs, layers, and more. Prefer not to handle questions regarding program installation but will attempt program troubleshooting once the program has been installed.

Twenty+ years in advertising, marketing publication design. Experience with PageMaker from version 1 to current version of Adobe inDesign. Currently supporting a 'short list' of clients in developing or maintainng their pre-print design.

BA in Philosophy; Bph, Cetifications in databases.