Pain Management/Don't Want Addiction- Choice of Oxycodone or Morphine

codfather wrote at 2013-12-25 22:46:51
I'm sorry you suffer from chronic pain. Believe me I know what you are going through as I have been a chronic pain patient since 1994 when I first entered in pain management. This was at a time when the science of pain management was in its infancy and doctors shied away from prescribing long term opioid therapy. I have been on various long acting opioid medications since around 2000. When I moved south the doctors in this state would not prescribe the Oxycontin I had been on 40mg tid with 5 mg 6hrs prn for rescue dose. They switched me to Kadian 80 mg bid which is sustained release morphine. I understand your fears of addiction; however, the bottom line for me was that when the pain became greater than that fear it was time! When you have reached that plateau you will know. Pain management is quite different now than it was when I started. Doctors in this specialty are well aware of the signs of addiction and pay close attention for them. Patients now go through random periodic urinalysis to check for drugs that are not suppose to be there. Trust me, if addiction takes over you will run out of pills before your renewal date and you will be looking for other drugs to ward off the withdrawal. Once I settled in to the right dose the relief was wonderful with minimal side effects. I have effectively been on the same dose for over ten years now, so issues of tolerance have been essentially none existent. I wish you luck and just remember a few things. If you decide to go on the medications. Keep them hidden under lock and key. Do not share with anyone that you are taking them. Before discarding empty pill vials peel the labels off of them so that the drug name, and the name of you, the doctor and pharmacy are not on it. If your doctor allows you to fill them before 30 days keep an emergency supply hidden under lock and key! God bless and feel better!

Pain Management

Patricia M

I welcome questions from people who may want a "nurse's perspective" on the subject of chronic pain and pain management. I am a nurse, NOT a physician (MD).I can answer questions on medications, alternative approaches, and the various organs and body systems. There are many avenues to explore with chronic pain. I am against seeing patients suffer simply because healthcare professionals might suspect they are "drug seekers". There are methods of identifying true pain, and this makes patients feel as if they are taken seriously, which they should be.

Over 25 years working experience in Internal Medicine, Adult Cardiology, Post-Surgery care, Cancer, psychiatry and some experience as a lay-counselor in addictive medicine (dependence to alcohol and/or drugs, both legal and illegal drugs).

I am an Expert with AllExperts in several areas: Pharmacy, Internal Medicine, Medical Errors. Feel free to check my Q&A history as well as my ratings, which are very high.

Diploma from hospital-based nursing school. Additional courses in pharmacology. I keep current in continuing education. Am currently working as lay-counselor which can lead to my certification as Substance Abuse Counselor.

Dean's List while in college.

Internal medicine patients, cardiology patients recovering from heart disease and/or open-heart surgery, cancer, as well as recently working as a lay-counselor to individuals dealing with addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. NOTE: Just because I attempt to help patients with addictive diseases, I have over 25 years in Internal Medicine, have nursed patients with great deal of pain, and I am compassionate. I never label anyone as a "drug seeker". I have seen that done for years, and am against it. All patients should be evaluated for pain in a fair and comprehensive manner. Am an Expert with AllExperts in three other medical categories; feel free to check my ratings, which are high.