Pain Management/constant back pain

Hello. I had a perforated bowel in February of this year. Even after surgery and repairing the bowel I've had episodes of severe non stop back pain. The pain comes on suddenly and lasts for hours at a time. Nothing (muscle relaxers, Bengay, Tylenol,) seems to help. I cannot take ibueprofen because for some reason ever since the bowel issue I can swallow it but I throw it up again.  No abdominal pain is there though. Any advice would be good.

You had a severe, life-threatening condition, as you well know. Without knowing your entire surgical history it is difficult to advise you, however, I would think that the extreme back pain could be coming from adhesions or scar tissue. With the surgery that you probably had there is bound to be a lot of scar tissue formed. This could be the cause of your pain, but you MUST get either the surgeon or your referring doctor to run some form of tests such as a CT or maybe an MRI to see exactly what is going on in there. I would not advise that you use any ibuprofen type medication because it can possibly cause stomach or intestinal bleeding. You also need to tell the physician that the pain comes on suddenly. If you choose to consult with a new physician PLEASE make sure he/she has your complete record in front of them so they'll know your complete history. I don't want to see any "stone unturned" with your case. This is not a simple back pain. I surely wish I could help more. You do need pain control, but you need far more than that. You need a physician who will run the proper tests and ascertain that nothing else needs to be done surgically. I hope you will get back to me and let me know what is found. As I said, I suggest your surgeon who performed this surgery, or the doctor who first found it and referred you for surgery. I wish you luck, and really would like to hear back.

Pain Management

Patricia M

I welcome questions from people who may want a "nurse's perspective" on the subject of chronic pain and pain management. I am a nurse, NOT a physician (MD).I can answer questions on medications, alternative approaches, and the various organs and body systems. There are many avenues to explore with chronic pain. I am against seeing patients suffer simply because healthcare professionals might suspect they are "drug seekers". There are methods of identifying true pain, and this makes patients feel as if they are taken seriously, which they should be.

Over 25 years working experience in Internal Medicine, Adult Cardiology, Post-Surgery care, Cancer, psychiatry and some experience as a lay-counselor in addictive medicine (dependence to alcohol and/or drugs, both legal and illegal drugs).

I am an Expert with AllExperts in several areas: Pharmacy, Internal Medicine, Medical Errors. Feel free to check my Q&A history as well as my ratings, which are very high.

Diploma from hospital-based nursing school. Additional courses in pharmacology. I keep current in continuing education. Am currently working as lay-counselor which can lead to my certification as Substance Abuse Counselor.

Dean's List while in college.

Internal medicine patients, cardiology patients recovering from heart disease and/or open-heart surgery, cancer, as well as recently working as a lay-counselor to individuals dealing with addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. NOTE: Just because I attempt to help patients with addictive diseases, I have over 25 years in Internal Medicine, have nursed patients with great deal of pain, and I am compassionate. I never label anyone as a "drug seeker". I have seen that done for years, and am against it. All patients should be evaluated for pain in a fair and comprehensive manner. Am an Expert with AllExperts in three other medical categories; feel free to check my ratings, which are high.