Pain Management/Electric pain

Question
Hi!!
I am a patient of a Pain Clinic.  I have several different things going on with my lower back/hips.     

For approx. the past year, I have begun having a pain that I describe as "electric".  It begins in my lower spine, travels up and into my neck, travels around to my stomach and chest.  It feels like an electric charge and like someone is squeezing my heart and ribs.  It is VERY painful.  I never know when it will hit.  Thankfully, it does not last longer than a couple minutes or so.

My pain dr. (who is actually a nurse pr.)does not seem very concerned.  It is like I cannot get through to her.

I have an appt. this month with my GP and plan to discuss it with him.

Any advice or suggestions would be SO greatly appreciated.  This is no way to live!!  I am 52 (almost).

Thank you!!!!!!

Answer
Emma,
I agree it is no way to live. You should discuss it with your primary doctor. Any kind of electric sensation in the body which lasts for any period of time is not NORMAL. There is something about pain clinics, perhaps they get burned out or weary of seeing people in distress every day, but they become almost callous, even the nurses. I have seen few exceptions. I hate to say that, because there are some excellent pain mgmt clinics out there, but it is true, much like those who work around Alzheimer patients. You see what I'm saying? Anyway, your pain needs to be taken seriously, and if your primary doctor can't run some tests then perhaps you can see a neurologist. You shouldn't have to; the pain clinic can also order tests, but this must be investigated properly. I the interim, I do hope your pain is being properly treated. I wish you the best. Speak up for yourself. Doctors are people, too. You deserve to be heard.  

Pain Management

Patricia M