Pain Management/Back Pain

Dear Doctor

I am 26 years old male patient of lower back pain and radiating it into left hip and left calf and ankle. There is no pain in the left thigh region. I am suffering from pain since october 2012 and finally i took a epidural block in april 2013, the effect of the injection stayed for a month or so but the pain was back again. This time the intensity is less but its not comfortable to lead a normal life and also numbness is felt on the left sole. I have recently started acupressure and acupuncture treatment and it gave me instant relief. The relief again is short term and after 5-6 sittings its back. My MRI scan shows a mild to moderate bulge but not to the extent that I should get a surgery done. No doctor till now has advised surgery but because I am young and suffering a lot because of it I need a permanent solution. Please help me out on the same.

Dear Aditya Vatta,

The doctors haven't diagnosed sciatica?  Your symptoms sound like nerve impingement, of which sciatica is a variety.

Please see my article on sciatica and follow the recommendations given:

A Way to End the Pain of Sciatica in 1 - 3 Weeks |

The disc bulge follows from tight muscles of the spinal column.

See this article on back pain:

The following somatic education exercise addresses hip joint pain in the back:,_posterior.htm  

Pain Management

Lawrence Gold

back pain exercises -|- back muscle pain -|- back muscle spasms -|- degenerative disc disease -|- disc bulge -|- dizziness -|- groin pain -|- groin pull -|- lifting injuries -|- lower back pain -|- lower back exercises -|- sciatica -|- whiplash injuries -|- Hanna Somatics -|- headaches -|- iliopsoas bursitis -|- iliopsoas muscle -|- iliopsoas syndrome -|- iliopsoas stretches -|- movement limitations -|- psoas stretch -|- psoas muscle pain -|- psoas stretches -|- psoas major / minor muscles -|- somatics -|- somatic exercises -|- somatic education -|-

In practice since 1990. Two years on staff at a hospital Wellness and Rehabilitation Center.

Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, American Journal of Pain Management, Somatics: Magazine-Journal of the Mind-Body Arts and Sciences. More complete listing at

Certifications: Hanna Somatic Education, the Dr. Ida P. Rolf method of Structural Integration (partial list)